Blog created for EDIT 2000. http://about.me/aoubre/#

Friday, March 28, 2014

Reflection #5--Gaming in Education

         When I was younger and had computer time, I could be found playing a game called Jump Start Typing. It incorporated different games that were aimed at helping you learn to excel at typing. I really enjoyed the competitive nature of the game and truly wanted to get better at typing so that I could reach higher levels. Aside from computer games, another game I played when I was younger was Monopoly. This game introduced life skills such as economics, money handling, and real estate. This is knowledge that you do not necessarily learn in a classroom, so I believe it really helps explain these skills through a board game, and something entertaining and fun.
           In my personal opinion, gaming is becoming so popular in 21st century learning because it is so natural for this generation of learners to learn how to use a gaming device or a computer. The skillset of being technologically savvy is a huge advantage 21st century learners have. It also can be found all over the world in different varieties and adaptations, creating what I have dubbed a "good global epidemic". This spread of technology usage across the globe creates a world capable of interaction and learners who are capable of using technology to create and advance our world.
             I personally know that I am no good at video games, so the idea of gaming is hard for me to see myself doing. However, if the game were computer-based, I have full faith in my abilities to learn to play that way. The idea of gaming could prove beneficial in many classrooms, and could teach children a variety of things. We saw this work out well for Joel Levin at the Columbia Grammar and Preparatory School in NYC. If I were to personally use gaming to help myself or others learn in 21st century learning, I believe I would have to make it a computer game, as I feel they are easier to teach and to learn. Computers are also very popular right now, so I feel like other learners and myself would pick a computer game over a video game.

2 comments:

  1. Alexis, I also enjoyed typing games (I preferred Typer Shark) and Monopoly as a kid. I think we must have just missed the gamer generation. However, I believe that it is in a child's nature to be competitive at whatever he or she is doing, and that's what I think makes using games in education so great. Children can actually get excited about learning and look forward to it everyday in class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also played Monopoly as a child Alexis. Growing up I was unaware of how educational Monopoly was. I actually still play Monopoly with my family because my mom bought the electric card version. I am a very competitive person as well so I agree that that is why gaming is so helpful in education.

    ReplyDelete