Blog created for EDIT 2000. http://about.me/aoubre/#

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Reading Reflections for the Foundations Project

         For me personally, learning and technology have more recently become intertwined. Many classes of mine have switched to digital learning in the sense that we are required to complete and submit assignments that are found online, mostly through ELC. The shift to more technological work for me came when I started college, as high school learning did not place emphasis on technology aside from Power Point. Recent classes of mine have required me to work completely online, while others still shy away from the tool.
         After reading the chapter on Meaningful Learning, I was surprised to find out that many curriculums focus around teaching to a test. To me this was a really upsetting realization, as I believe this sort of learning is troublesome for the big picture. Students who are just merely taught to pass a standardized test will eventually struggle with questions outside of the realm of a test and will possibly not measure up adequately with students who are not learning for a test.

         The big takeaway from this reading assignment was that students can learn with technology. For me, an important statement was "technology cannot teach students, rather students learn as they use technology," as it illustrates the point clearly to me as a new idea. Instead of using technology as a crutch for a teaching style, incorporation of technology along with teaching can serve to better assist students. With the digital age booming, technology will need to eventually move into classrooms in a more dominant way, but they should not completely take over.



1 comment:

  1. Hi Alexis! Your blog has a very nice setup. I love your incorporation of nature. I also enjoyed reading your post. Like you, I have a mixture of classes that use technology in the classroom. I personally like this because it adds a little bit of variety to my life, but I am certainly well informed of all of the major advantages of technology. I, like you, was also upset after reading the article that many classes today teach to a test. I think that this is a very limiting way to learn. Hopefully technology can soon be used to fill in the "gaps" that these students are missing in their education. I loved your drawings! I thought they contributed very nicely to what you were saying.

    ReplyDelete